Camp Kitchen Assistant
Location: Riverhead, NY
Summary: This position will serve as the Camp Kitchen Assistant for DPF 4-H Camp, a residential summer camp owned and operated by Cornell Cooperative Extension Association of Nassau County, located in Riverhead, New York. The primary responsibilities of this position will include, but not be limited to: assisting in assigned areas of kitchen or dining room as determined by the Camp Kitchen Manager/Cook. This position accepts and performs all position duties outlined in this position description, and performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned and deemed appropriate by the Camp Kitchen Manager/Cook and/or 4-H Camp Director. (NOTE: This position does not include cabin responsibilities.)
- Must be 18 years of age.
- Ability to meet acceptable background check standards (criminal background checks).
- Desire, ability and willingness to work and live in a camp community and to reside at DPF 4-H Camp, Riverhead, NY (including overnights) the entire time 4-H Camp is in session.
- Ability to work flexible hours which will include evenings and weekends, as appropriate.
- Training and/or experience in food service.
- Demonstrated ability to complete tasks as assigned.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- Demonstrated ability to accept guidance and supervision.
- Good character, integrity and adaptability. Enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, and self-control.
Job Duties (Direction, Management, Coordination) - 95%
- During staff training, work with Kitchen Manager/Cook to set up kitchen and dining room.
- Assist in preparing and serving nutritious meals and snacks for up to 300 campers and staff, according to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) standards.
- Assist in keeping all areas of kitchen and lodge safe, clean, sanitary, and in compliance with New York State Department of Health regulations.
- Be responsible for personal cleanliness and appearance.
- Assist in assigned kitchen duties including: unloading and storing necessary supplies, washing dishes, glasses and silverware by machine and hand, sweeping and mopping kitchen and dining room, properly disposing of trash and recyclable items, and any additional tasks deemed necessary by the Kitchen Manager/Cook.
- Assist in the preparation of CSA boxes for distribution.
- Assist Kitchen Manager/Cook in the planning and development of camper activities and classes as appropriate.
- Assist in tracking meals served daily.
- Assist in conducting initial and end of season inventory, and storing and keeping materials and equipment in good condition.
- Conduct daily check to be sure all equipment is safe, clean, and in good repair.
- Assist in the evaluation of the current camping season, and make suggestions for the following camping season.
- Assist in the daily upkeep of facilities.
- Perform other duties as assigned and/or reassigned as directed/required by the Camp Director.
Professional Improvement and Other Duties as Assigned - 5%
- Attend DPF 4-H Camp orientation/training program, and participate in staff meetings and required training events as scheduled.
- In cooperation with Supervisor and/or Executive Director jointly develop and pursue a professional development plan as a means to increase competencies relative to position accountabilities and to address changes in programming and association priorities.
- Collaborate in activities that are in general support of Cornell Cooperative Extension including but not limited to attendance at staff meetings, timely reporting of expenses, working with other staff, general marketing of Extension programs and other duties as assigned.
If interested email Erika Hulver at firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated May 8, 2019